A Career Woman and A Housewife

Here's the deal, this our blog... This is where we come to write about our lives. The Good. The Bad. The Ugly. And of course, The Beautiful. We welcome anyone to come on in, take a look around and have a few laughs. Nothing makes us happier than nice comments and finding a new BLOG friend. If you can't handle what we have to say, just leave quietly and pretend you've never been here...We will retaliate.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Random Rants About My Weekend

This Is For The Birds

My phone rings this morning at 7:00a.m. as I'm getting ready to head to Kohl's for their Early Bird Sale. I look at the caller ID, it's my sister's cell phone (?) OK, this is weird, it's Saturday morning, my 17 year old sister is usually tucked into bed until noon on Saturday, why is she calling me from her Cell Phone?

Apparently......Jan and my mother were were locked inside the bathroom at their home.

When my mom got up in the morning, she was standing at the stove making tea and turned around to see a BIRD in her kitchen. My mom runs into the bathroom and shuts the door (and let me just say that she stood in the bathroom screaming for 5 minutes before she realized that she was in the dark and didn't even turn the light on. ) She screams for my sister who is sleeping upstairs to come and hide in the bathroom with her. Jan has to run through the kitchen and past the bird to get into the bathroom with my frantic mother. Now they are waiting for my Uncle T, who lives a few houses up the road, to get the bird out of the house for them. My Dad had already left for work and my mom doesn't understand why he didn't see the bird or how in the heck it got into the house. So after a few swats at the bird, about 5 misses with the broom, 4 dashes back into the bathroom and 6 opened windows later, the bird escapes freely back into the world.....Of course, leaving Bertha scared for life and she now thinks that someone she knows is going to die to because of the whole bird superstition thing. YIKES!

(I'm sure that only those of you that actually know Jan and Bertha could truly appreciate this story)

As for my Early Bird Sale at Kohl's, I scored a cute new purse, new work jeans for Big Daddy, some comfy underwear and a few aborable outfits for the girls.

I guess I wasn't the ONLY early bird out this morning!

Oh and while we are talking about birds......my Blue Heron is back. I live on a lake and every morning last year, this Blue Heron would land on this piece of drift wood and perch out there for a few hours at 7:00a.m., like clockwork. We became good friends. I couldn't start my day without him. The minute I woke up in the morning I would look out my bedroom window into the water to say good morning to my feathery fowl friend. If he was late, I would worry about him. Did he fly into a tree? A window? Did a mean person trap him or shoot him? Maybe he was just caught in traffic? Hmmm. Well Mr. Blue Heron left for the winter and I often pondered if he would come back to me this Spring.

So as I sat at my computer the other morning I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye through the window. I looked and saw my Blue Heron, larger than life about 3 feet away from my window. He was stretching his wings and looked very large and threatening. I jumped about 5 feet out of my desk chair and nearly had a heart attack. After I realized what it was, I ran to window to greet my long lost friend, for I've never seen him this up close and personal before. I quickly decided that I liked him much better on the piece of drift wood across the lake. As long as he stays over there and away from window, we can still be friends. But Mr. Blue Heron must not have like what he saw either because I haven't seen him since. Maybe we weren't meant to be?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kids Say the Darnest Things ... REALLY

After Kohl's, me and the girls hit the Mall. You know that little kiosk with the middle eastern people that sell the nail buffers that make your nails look super duper shiny. Well the guy stopped me for a quick sales pitch. I stood long enough for him to turtle wax two of my nails then we were on our way. The girls didn't say a word the whole time and we never spoke of if the rest of the day, it was completely forgotten.

Well later that evening, I'm cooking dinner while Big Daddy was showering after work. Bella goes into the bedroom when he was done and was talking to him as he got dressed.

"Daaa-aaaddy" in her best tattletale voice ever, says "There was another man touching Mommy's fingers todaa-aay."

Big Daddy: "Oh yeah"

Bella: "Yeah, him was cleaning 'dem"

Big Daddy with a smile from ear to ear, looks into the kitchen "Hey Nik, did you get a manicure today?"

Nikki: NO, why? (I had completely forgot about the nail guy at the mall)

Of course, after he tells me what Bella said, I remembered the nail guy.
Tell me how a three year old would know that Daddy would take interest in another man touching Mommy's hands. And on top of it, tell Daddy while Mommy's not there in a tattletale voice...WAY TOO FUNNY!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I know that all of you are just dying to know how we spent Family Fun Sunday this week............................................................................ I know the suspension was killing you!

We strolled the streets of Salem this Sunday. Nothing too exciting. I mean...it's a very exciting place, everyone should take a visit at some point in their life, but we've been there multiply times. I live only 30 minutes away. We did find a graveyard that we haven't been to yet. It was pretty cool. But the reason we went there wasn't for all the witch history this time...we went so the girls could look for sea shells by the wharf. We had beautiful weather and the tide is still low, so there were plenty of sea shells, clams, snails, crabs and other creepy crawly things to see. The only ugly part about the low tide is all the yucky seaweed that you have to walk through, but this didn't stop the girls from having fun. If you'd like to see some pictures, you can go here.
We had lunch at Victoria Station and watched the boats sail into the harbor as we ate. We came home and played soft ball with the girls outside for the rest of the day.

Today, I'll be spending most of time helping Bella clean all the sea shells she brought home. If some kind of creepy crawly sea creature comes out of one of those shells...no matter where any of you fine people are in this world...you are bound to hear me scream.

-Housewife

6 Comments:

  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger A Career Woman and A Housewife said…

    Please explain to me your bizarre situation with all the damn birds. My dad has a pet bird that continously flies into the huge window in our family room, bound and determined to land on the whatever they are that are on the inside of our window... (good story huh) And how cute is Bella, that little snitch, now ya know that you can't have a another man over!
    -Career Woman

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    sounds like an awesome weekend!! we had a bat in our house once...but i was asleep and nobody got locked in the bathroom. my dad however, managed to kill it with a hammer. whatever!

    cute pictures too!!!

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Rachael said…

    Sounds like good times. I woke up one morning and found a dead bird behind my desk. Still don't know how the heck it got there.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger The Dirty South said…

    I am gald that you guys like Boston so much....can't wait till ya'll come to visit me and KE in the dirty south. You and john can have family day with us which usually consists of sushi, raw oysters, and lots of alcohol. have a good week...Talk to you when I get back from the beach.

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Mirella said…

    Nik, I heart your family days. You are the cooles mama ever!

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great site film editing schools

     

Post a Comment

<< Home