A Career Woman and A Housewife

Here's the deal, this our blog... This is where we come to write about our lives. The Good. The Bad. The Ugly. And of course, The Beautiful. We welcome anyone to come on in, take a look around and have a few laughs. Nothing makes us happier than nice comments and finding a new BLOG friend. If you can't handle what we have to say, just leave quietly and pretend you've never been here...We will retaliate.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Protesters... HUH!

I really didn't want to get all "current-event" on you. That's never what this blog was intended for, but I heard something on the NEWS last night that highly irritated me and I have to vent (plus, nothing else is going on for me to talk about.)

Now, before I begin, let me just say that I have made posts in the past that were NEVER meant to spark controversial issues. Yet, somehow they did. Perhaps my readers were yearning for controversy on this blog and had to make something out of nothing. I don't know. But as always, I aim to please... So if you want controversy...Here it is.........................

This story ran on my FOX 25 10:00 NEWS last night. The link I provided you is from a local Newspaper, FOX 25 NEWS did not have a link on their site for the story that they had aired, but I may quote some things that FOX 25 had said on TV. If you don't want to read the whole story, I'll recap for you.

Englesby Intermediate Scool in Dracut Massachusetts held a "Women in History" Essay contest. The winner of the contest was a 12 year-old girl that submitted an essay about Ellen DeGeneres. Fox 25 NEWS reported, school officials stressed that the girl won soley because of her writing style and not because of the content of her paper. So for those people out there that may not understand, SHE DID NOT WIN BECAUSE SHE WROTE ABOUT LESBIANS,SHE WON BECAUSE OF HER WRITING STYLE. Moving on....An Anti-Gay Group based out of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka Kansas lead by Pastor Fred Phelps somehow caught wind of this. They sent a flier to the Englesby School (and I quote this from The Lowell Sun) "The invective-laden leaflet includes a photo of the Englesby School and a grotesque devil. The diatribe attacks the staff, labeling it a 'homo-fascist regime,' among other things." Pastor Phelps has also contacted the acting chief of Police in Dracut to secure a picketing permit at the school. One of which Cheif Richardson may not approve because the protest will disturb the school day. Now someone is thinking!

Let me also say, that this Anti-Gay group lead by Pastor Phelps became notorious in 1998 when they stood across the street shouting at mourners of 21 year-old Matthew Shepard of Wyoming who was murdered in an anti-gay hate crime. They held signs that read "Matthew is in hell" for all of his family and friends to see as they prepare to burry their loved one.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but these so-called evangelical people that claim to be so holy and good, they claim to follow God and love Jesus, find it GODLY to spread so much hate. I can't help but to laugh at them. If they are true Christians, I would presume that they know the Ten Commandments...Murder is wrong...if they want to protest against something they should be outside the courthouse protesting against Matthew Shepherd's murderers and praying that Matthew goes to heaven for having lost his life in such a hateful, violent way. Get a clue!

I feel the same way about this victimized Middle School and it's innocent students. These children are 9 through 12 years old. This 12 year old girl wrote about a Woman that she felt played a part in history. After all, this girl lives in Massachusetts, it is the first state to legalize Gay Marriage...it is part of her society in a state that she lives in. I think it is great that she was mature enough at 12 years old to recognize the importance that Ellen DeGeneres may have played in the history of this country. And although the school claims she won because of her writing style and not because of her content...Who cares if it WAS about the content...People are going to have to start realizing that times are changing and the world is evolving and the only thing that's going to make this world a terrible place are the people that are spreading hate, not the people that are loving one another (no matter what sex they love.)

These people are going to travel all the way from Kansas to Massachusetts to subject children 9 through 12 years old to protest and violence. They have sent fliers to their school with pictures of the devil on them. If these people want to claim they are religious...I suggest they quit promoting hate and the devil...all they are doing is spreading the wrong message to these children. Instead of demonstrating what God intended on this earth, LOVE and PEACE...they are demonstrating what the devil himself wanted HATE and VIOLENCE.

Yes, I understand that the Bible states that marriage should be between a man and a woman. But the Bible also states that we should love one another. If these people think that Gays and Lesbians are sinning and if they have that much faith in God to believe that it's truly wrong, than they also should believe that the Gays and Lesbians will deal with their sin on judgment day by God himself. If they don't approve of it than they shouldn't do it....leave these poor people alone. If they insist on hurting the feelings of people like Matthew Shepherd's family and a small girl that wrote an award winning essay then THEY are the SINNERS...They are no better than a sexually confused being.

This same group plans on protesting at a Lexington High School graduation because the school recognized the Gay-Straight Alliance Club. WWJD? Be grateful that the straight students there are accepting of their Gay peers and not projecting violence against them. These people of this Anti-Gay group sicken me with their protest. I'm not putting them down for their beliefs, I'm putting them down for the way they are handling themselves. Again, if they are so religious than they should know that there is nothing more powerful than prayer...so if they would put their effort into prayer instead of protest than maybe they would make progress - Peacefully - as God intended.

Just like the idiots that bomb abortion clinics. OK, you think these women are so wrong for killing a baby...what makes you think your so right by killing the people that work there by blowing the building up. Honestly, people do not think!

It's like this...Everyone sins...whether you told a lie, cheated, swore, stole, had impure thoughts WHATEVER...a sin is a sin....Ellen Degeneres is no more wrong by kissing her girlfriend than you are by saying "F#CK", eating a grape at the grocery store, or having sex out of wedlock.

Now there's something to send me hate mail about. If you disagree with me...BY ALL MEANS, LET ME KNOW....cause I'm dying to hear how you justify yourself.

In the meantime, the rest of you out there can pray that Chief Richardson doesn't allow this Anti-Gay group to protest infront of these school children, even if it does violate their "freedom of speech." And if he does, then pray that these children will understand that some people in the world just don't have their heads screwed on too tight!

-Housewife

36 Comments:

  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Doug said…

    These are the kinds of groups that give religion in any form a bad name. They are no better than suicide bombers who have twisted their faith to make killing innocent people and themselves in the process a sin. I may not agree with homosexuality, but that does not mean I hate anyone who does agree. It's your choice. God gave us the right to choose which extends all the way back to Adam and Eve when Eve ruined the world with forbidden fruit. The fact that they want to protest little kids makes it even worse. I agree with Housewife on this issue.
    (PS: The Eve ruining the world bit was a joke.)

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger ZootsMom said…

    Ditto........

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amalah sent me.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger A Career Woman and A Housewife said…

    Okay, so these people are like really stupid and I totally agree with you! I may not be "for" everything in this world, including homosexuals, however, THEY. ARE. PEOPLE. and it is a sin to be mean to people in such ways...get the f*ck over it haters and leave people alone, because in the end, you are just as bad, if not worse!
    -Career Woman

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger A Career Woman and A Housewife said…

    Thanks for the nods...and again let me stress (cause sometimes people just don't get it)
    I AM NOT SAYING THAT PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO BELIEVE OR DISBELIEVE IN HOMOSEXUALITY, CAUSE THEY DO AND I RESPECT EVERY OPINION. WHAT I AM SAYING IS THESE "RELIGIOUS" PEOPLE JUST DON'T SEEM SO RELIGIOUS TO ME.
    -Housewife

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Mirella said…

    Preach ON, sistafriend! Crazyman Fred Phelps came to UMD when our theater people put on on a production of "The Laramie Project." They stood across from the theater with their hate-mongering signs and, at first, I wanted to punch each of them in the face.

    Then I wanted to cry, because DAMN, homophobes just hurt my gay-friendly heart.

    Can you imagine being so possessed by hatred that you spend your life traveling around the country, shouting your hatred from the top of your lungs? Can you imagine how awful it would feel to be filled with that much anger and rage? It must be a miserable life to only get joy from inflicting sorrow onto others. And a miserable life? Is EXACTLY what people like that deserve.

    But seriously, how can you hate an entire group of people because of who they love? It is not our freaking job to play religious arbiter and decide who is and isn't right with God. I'm pretty sure God will work that out on his own, THANKS.

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger small bus to hell said…

    I could not agree with you more!
    M-

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Anonymous ann said…

    I so agree with you. Thanks for venting.

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Jon said…

    I agree with Mirella 100 percent, which is something I do often seeing as I'm married to her. However, I have to disagree with those who say this group should not be allowed to protest. I'm a big advocate of free speech and that's mostly because of the profession I'm in. But more importantly than the free speech and other First Amendment issues which surround this case, I see a protest like this as an opportunity for parents to teach their children several important lessons -- many of which center around love.

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger KE said…

    As a faithful church-goer and Jesus-lover, raised by Father and Mother Early, here is my opinion on the matter:
    A sin is a sin. We all do it.
    Yes, sex before marriage is a sin, regardless of who you're having it with. And yes, same-sex marriage is a sin, but so is cheating on your husband/wife in a marriage. I completely agree that people showing hatred towards others for their decisions are sinning moreso than those they hate, because as "religious" people, we are supposed to be setting examples through showing LOVE. And by the by, God will forgive you for anything you ask him to. Promise.
    And you can call me "religious," but I love gay people!

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger A Career Woman and A Housewife said…

    Gay people ARE the funnest, are they not?
    -Career Woman

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger TrueJerseyGirl said…

    Very thought-provoking and wonderful post. I don't get why religious people get to choose which sins you go to hell for and which you don't. Doesn't God decide that?

    The only good thing is that 99% percent of people know that this "preacher" is a moron who is just a publicity whore. Do any of his followers really think that this is how God or Jesus would have us act?

    Thanks for a great post - its nice to hear ya get political every once in a while! Go girls!!!

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger A Career Woman and A Housewife said…

    Don't get me wrong. I am not against protest nor the First Amendment, these are advantages that we have and they have brought great outcome to many things in this country - when exercised properly. But there is a right time and a right place to do it and in front of a middle school during a school day is not one of them. Especially (if you have seen video clips of or witnessed this group) when they are holding up signs that say "GOD HATES FAGS" Now come on, if you are going to stand up for your belief, at least make people take you seriously by being a little politically correct about it. FAG is a slang and it's degrading. These children have been through enough and it's hard enough to process this, don't make it worse for them.
    -Housewife

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Anonymous samantha said…

    Pastor Phelps and his crew came to my town to protest the local university forming a support group for gay students!! How very silly is that? They protested during one of the biggest football games during the season and generally caused a small ruckus, but nothing really happened. I went by and chanted along with the anti-Pastor Phelps group, but mainly felt depressed when I saw how many children and young adults were in Phelps' group.I hope your town refuses to let them protest, especially in front of a MIDDLE SCHOOL.

    Oh yeah, Amalah sent me!

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Tc said…

    Amen.

    by the way Amalah sent me :)

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Spurious Plum said…

    This is the first time I've been to your blog.

    Holy crap. I love you.

    Thank you for putting into words what so many of us are feeling right now.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger The Dirty South said…

    Props to Housewife....
    The problem with the world is that there are too many close-minded, uneducated followers out there. People do not choose to be gay, they are born that way. Can you honestly name one person who says "I am going to be gay so that the world can hate me, I can never leagally marry, and I will be the butt of all jokes."
    People need to realize that the things they think are "sins" are going to be around no matter what they do. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but so are the people they are attacking. We all live in a free country and no one should be held back from being happy because some stupid f*cks believe that something is wrong because a book tells them so. There is not one person in this world who has not sinned. That makes eveyone who calls people sinners a sinner themself.
    Whatever happened to the pursuit of happiness?

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger kpac4smiles said…

    Wonderful post Nik! You said it all. Amen to YOU! Can you imagine how that little girl has to be feeling right causing all of this in her school? I feel horrible for HER!

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Kendall said…

    Amalah sent me, too.

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Jenny said…

    Ok, I used to get all riled up over Fred Phelps, too, but I don't anymore, because he's really just a harmless idiot, and people are starting to figure that out. I am from Kansas City, his group is based in Topeka, so you can imagine we get to deal with him all the time, because when he's not reaching out to picket the far reaches of the US, he chooses to stay closer to home and drive us Kansans nuts. A couple of years ago my former high school did a production of The Laramie Project, and he came and picketed the school. And because this is Kansas we're talking about (in case you didn't know, some school boards are currently discussing the value of Darwin's theory being taught to schools, so Fred is really right at home in this backward-ass state), Mr Phelps and his little team of sign-carrying wackos got a motorcade of policeman to protect them and their right to picket.

    Anyway, my point, (I know you were wondering) is that he's just a silly, little man, and as much as he thinks he matters, he and his antics are laughable. I hope the Sheriff doesn't allow them to picket, However, I hope even more that someone alerts Ellen's PR person and convinces her to SHOW UP and defy him. Now that would be fun.

    Oh, and you can thank Amalah for me, too. :)

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger The Second Child said…

    I agree!

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger The Second Child said…

    Hey, Sissy, I took your advice and made a new movie review blog. But I'm not a good writer... check it out.

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    look at you go!
    i have not read it, or the other comments yet, but i have talked to you personally today and you sort of know the hell i'm going through? or did we just talk about express jeans?
    maybe that was it.

    but, alas, after tonight i will have all the time in the world to read how famous you are from being posted on amalah's site (something i aspire to do in the next, er...um while) and i will read your glorius argument, and while skimming comments, i didn't see any hate...this is a good thing, but maybe i didn't see it if it was there and am so proud of people behaving and you not getting trashed!!! because, you are fabulous, you know...just absolutely divine!!!

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger TrueJerseyGirl said…

    I just came back here to see if any religious wackos came on here to bash you, as usually happens when ya post anything like you did. Wow, what a bunch of adults you have reading you! Yippee! I am so proud of us all!

    Now who is this Amalah that's sending everyone here so I can go check her out too?

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    www.amalah.com

    she's HILARIOUS! and you'll want to be her best friend!

     
  • At 2:01 AM, Blogger christina said…

    Hi! Amalah sent me!

    Just the merest whiff of organized religion sends me running the other way.

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Anonymous Jessica said…

    I live in Topeka and there is barely a week that goes by without me seeing his little pre-teen cult members out protesting something or other. It's disgusting and the only people with the power to do something about the Westboro Baptist Church are too afraid of Phelps and his fifty-nine million lawyer children to do anything about it.

    The only people here that don't disapprove of the church belong to the church, and still, nothing gets done.

    There was a group of anti-Phelps protesters a while back after the whole September 11th thing when the church members were carrying upside-down flags and GOD HATES AMERICA signs, but I haven't seen them in a long time.

     
  • At 2:47 AM, Blogger April B. said…

    Amalah sent me too, and I think I'm here to stay.

    ;) A

     
  • At 3:41 AM, Blogger LĂ©onie said…

    I can't say anything that hasn't already been said in the comments section here. I have a lot of gay friends and people are people whatever their sexuality. They're mean, happy, nasty, fun, boring, geeky, self-obsessed, self-effacing.. WHATEVER! It makes me too angry to even think about it.. Sin schmin I say..

     
  • At 6:37 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    i don't think i could have said it any better. its like you took the words straight from my mouth.

    go you!!!!!

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger warcrygirl said…

    Fred Phelps is a joke. He makes Christians look bad especially to people who think all Christians think like he does. Besides, it's not up to us who goes to Heaven or goes to Hell.

    Amalah sent me, although it looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short. As usual!

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Andrea said…

    I could not pass by your site, Housewife, without saying, "Here, Here!" to your post about Protestors. When I was 13 years old I went to the original March for Women's lives in Washington, D.C. and I have never looked back. Religion should be about love and acceptance, not hate and murder. I applaud you for taking such a strong stance against people who are unable to think rationally.
    And thanks to Amalah for bringing me to your site!

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    From a Christian standpoint, humans are meant to live their lives to become more prepared for Heaven. They are meant to grow closer to God through living. If the world remained unchanged during each of our lives and everyone already knew everything before living, why would people be born? Pastor Fred Phelps feels he already knows the absolute truth and can never learn anything from anyone living a different life. Why has he yet to die then? I feel he has much left to learn.

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My older sister and her girlfriend took down their pride flag from their bedroom and was at the protest in Dracut today. My sister was interviewed by channel 7 news. Needless to say I am with you on this, and not only because my sister is gay or the fact that I think the Catholic religion is F***ED UP! Not Catholics in general, just the shit they have to deal with.

    I understand that those people have every right as Americans to protest but some, if not all of the the signs they had up, around children no less, were just uncalled for. It makes me sick to think that people would actually blame 9-11 on what they think is "sin".

    There's not much else I can say about the subject without getting really pissed off.

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Anonymous signs of a cheating spouse said…

    Your blog is very nice!

    cheating housewife

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Anonymous how to catch your wife cheating said…

    Good post... thanks :)

    signs of a cheating wife

     

Post a Comment

<< Home